Saturday, December 5, 2009

yummy rummies for eat my blog

friday night was a mad rush to get all 15 of my little yummy rummies (aka rum cake) ready for the eat my blog charity bake sale the following morning. since i'm not a serious baker with a handy dandy kitchenaid mixer, i had to do it the old school way with a whisk. oh boy, calling forth my atrophied muscles buried in my arm fat was comical. charlie kept me company and would intermittently come by to coax me to play (as you can see, he brought me his yellow toy for throw and fetch). alas, his mommy had some mad baking to do and i shooed him away like a fly.

lots of chopping, mixing, and rum drinking...i mean pouring :) the whole process took me a few hours but once i got into the swing of thangs, i became a well oiled baking machine!

and the army of little rum cakes were finally done. wheeeew.

i made sure they were soaked in the rum glaze before they got their lid. my little rummies were ready for consumption :) time to send my babies away....

today, when i got there at 11am, the sale was in full swing. i quickly got in line and went from a small box of baked goods to a large one. i did not know where to start! there were sooooo many delicious looking things to choose from.

hey, these look familiar! it's my rummies :) i high-fived a few people that bought them and was actually there when the last one got scooped up. yay! thank god cuz i was worried i'd see a few in zeke's trash bins...and was ready to save them if that was to happen.

it was also great to see sook and jessica again, and to meet new fellow foodies like marie and hanh. we grabbed some lunch at food lab (to be posted soon) and of course, there's a box of sweets waiting to be destroyed when i got home. i picked up sook's cookies, jessica's popcorn mix, mattatouille's budino, food she thought's biscuit, ravenous couple's mochi truffles, and a chocolate bacon fudge bar who forgive me but i do not know who made that one :( i cannot consume everything at one sitting, but look forward to doing that soon. it was an awesome event to be a part of, and now, i'm nestled in my warm bed feeling too lazy to move even a toe. i think i will have sweet dreams tonight.....

12 comments:

  1. AMY! Thank you so much for being a part of Eat My Blog! Your rum cakes were a HIT!! One of the first to sell out, for sure ;-) Say you'll do it again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was one of the lucky ones to get your rum cake. It was really good and reminded me of one of my favourites, the rich plum cake, from back home in India. It was that good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. cathy, no probs! it was a fun event to be a part of and i'm glad my rummies each found a home and a belly to belong to. count me in for next time as well :)

    hari, wow, this is like one of the best compliments ever! thank you for taking your time to drop by my blog to tell me that. i'm glad you enjoyed my rum cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. girl your cake done got me drunk. can't wait to see you (and charlie) again. hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice! congrats on the success. I wish I were around to have a bite of that rum cake.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sookie, i like to spike shit. next time, drunken shrimp. kidding...i don't know how to make those. cooper is sooo adorable. we go out and celebrate your emancipation when you're tired of the golden arches.

    afro, easy version. take a slice of sponge cake and dunk into rum :) seriously, i'm just glad people didn't get the runs. no shit. literally.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, really nice to meet you...just sad we never got to try that rum cake--it was gone by the time we left! You'll have to make that again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks yummy & congrats on a successful sale! I'll be sure to stop by next time you guys have one! We were just so busy last weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. hong, nice to meet you too! good job spinning that sign and hawking those baked goods. your mochi truffles were yummy...i'm going to try and make it!

    southbay, there will be more bake sales. i believe the next one is tentatively set for the summer?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm eating your rum cake as I type and it is freaking tasty. So glad I snatched one up! Seriously, such boozy goodness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. the BEST rum cake ever!!! bought it at the bake sale and just started in on it today. fabulous topping, not too much rum and cake was velvety moist and delicious. YUM!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. marie, good to hear this! i remember you said you generally don't like booze in your sweets...yay, i'm so glad you liked it.

    harriet, THANKS for dropping my blog to tell me this! i'm so glad you enjoyed it! yay :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails