Saturday, May 9, 2009

conchas and tamales at caleya

Celaya Bakery
1630 W Sunset Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90026
(213) 250-2472

price: $
verdict: omg, i love it!

long before the hipster invasion of echo park, this much adored bakery has churned out unbelievably delicious baked goods and tamales for years and years. now after the hipster invasion, you see a few more skinny white boys with scarves walking about, but celaya goods are still the same, absolutely delicious.

i've been patronizing this place since i was but a wee lass. my pops would always buy me their conchas (circular sweet bread with crumbly sugar on top that looked like a snail shell) and i would eat it every weekend of my childhood. the bread is soft and the topping is not overly sweet. to this day, i continue to buy my conchas from celaya. i do warn you though that they must be consumed within a day because it goes stale pretty quickly. it is under a dollar for one.

just recently, when i was in there to buy my usual baked goods, this man told me that "they have the best tamales in l.a. trust me. i'm mexican." so i trusted this mexican and bought myself two tamales; a chicken tamale in green sauce and a pork tamale in red sauce.

two words. hell yes. nice, fiery burn to the two sauces though the green one will burn you longer than the red one. there's a tad too much masa and too little filling, but for $1.35 per tamale, i'm sure you can afford to get a second one though these suckers are heavy on the belly. this is one of the best discoveries i've had since tampons. thank you mexican man!

mmmmmmm....

2 comments:

  1. yum that second tamale looks like it belongs in my belly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. those tamales belong in everybody's belly. very tasty!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails